Chief Instructor - Abernethy Ardeonaig
Full time, Permanent contract.
Closing date: 28 February 2019, Start date: Immediate.
Who should apply?
Abernethy's vision is to provide exceptional outdoor adventure experiences where our guests can discover more about themselves, others and God. This role is essential to our ministry as our outdoor instructors are key to providing a safe, educational, meaningful and challenging experience for our guests. We are looking for a hands-on team leader to lead and develop the instructional department. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
You might feel that you are interested in this vacancy but don't yet possess the relevant training, in this instance, you should take a look at our Instructor Training Courses.
What are the key roles of an Abernethy Chief Instructor?
- Outdoor activity instruction both on & off site
- Developing adventure activity programmes for our guests
- Developing the capacity of the instructional team
- Working with the Deputy Chief Instructor and managing the Senior Instructors and the rest of the instructional team
- Delivering model activity sessions
- Observing and monitoring activity sessions for quality assurance
- Ensuring accurate and efficient administration of all paperwork relating to the department
- Managing the department’s budget appropriately
- To be a member of the Abernethy Chief Instructors forum and meet regularly as a group
- Active involvement with ‘Explore’ Christian programme
What experience are we looking for?
In an ideal world, we would be keen for the following criteria to be met by the successful candidate:
- Excellent communicator (verbal and written)
- Experience of managing a departmental budget
- A broad range of NGB qualifications including some of: Archery Award, BOF Award, DofE Assessor/Supervisor, First Aid, High Ropes Course Award, Moderate Water Endorsement, Mountain Leader, RYA Award, SPA, UKCC Level 2 Paddlesports (either Canoe or Kayak).
- Full UK driving licence preferably with D1 + E entitlement (Minibus & Trailer)
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience at Senior Instructor level or higher
- Able to demonstrate a sound understanding of risk management and risk benefit
- Experience and evidence of leadership and working as part of a team
- Motivated and demonstrates initiative
- Positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
What are the benefits?
- A monthly salary
- Full-board accommodation or a live-out allowance (accommodation needs can be discussed at interview)
- Paid annual leave (30 days per annum)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Opportunity for personal training and development
- Opportunity for promotion/career development for the right candidate
- Family discounts on most Abernethy Holidays & Camps
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian Community, in a beautiful part of Scotland
- Place at our annual Team Conference
How to apply:
Download our application form HERE
Contact Operations Director, Dave Nelson, informally for more information by calling 01567 820523
Complete an online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on 01479 818001
Abernethy is a group of 4 residential adventure centres and a bunkhouse in Scotland and we are all about living life to the full with God and sharing outdoor adventures. Through our centres in the beautiful wilds of Scotland and a staff team motivated by their Christian faith, we aim to create the very best experiences for each and every guest.