Food Services Manager - Abernethy Nethybridge
Full time, Permanent contract.
Closing date: 03 February 2020, or until recruited.
Start date: ASAP
Who should apply?
First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
We are transforming our approach to food service – we are pulling out all the stops and plan to make our catering provision the best it can be for our guests and team members. We are excited and open to change and creative solutions. We are seeking a passionate and driven hands-on team leader to help us develop and improve this vital part of what we do. We need someone with a proven track record in cooking professionally for large numbers, leading others and initiating change. Someone with flair, innovation, flexibility, good humour and excellent budgetary skills.
Mealtimes were key moments for Jesus as he ministered on earth – we aspire to create meaningful mealtimes that enhance the Abernethy experience. Are you fired up about this challenge? If so, read on!
What are the key tasks?
- To build and oversee the team in preparing and serving tasty food at our 83-bed residential Adventure Centre
- To help us creatively re-think how we source, prepare and serve food to our guests and team
- To take responsibility for the leadership and management of our busy kitchen
- To develop innovative new dishes and menu plans that exceed expectations and have a seasonal flavour
- To create inspiring and age-appropriate meals for our guests and team
- To ensure the highest standards in food safety and general health & safety
- To ensure special dietary needs are catered for
- To ensure careful portion control allowing for hearty appetites, whilst reducing food waste
- To lead, train, motivate and mentor our Cook and Assistant Cooks
- To forward plan weekly menus and food and beverage provision for a wide variety of all-age individuals
- To review and source appropriate suppliers and build relationships with them
- To manage the entire catering budget ensuring an efficient and cost-effective provision
- To ensure high standards of friendly service and customer care
- To carry out regular team reviews leading to team development and growth
- To be hands-on and available during several meal services a week to ensure quality
- Active involvement with ‘Explore’ evening Christian programme for guests
Ideally, what are we looking for?
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate that they:
- Have a mature and growing Christian Faith
- Are a positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
- Have a passion for home cooking, commercial foodservice and excellent hospitality
- Have a heart for service, evangelism and Christian discipleship
- Are excited about the scope of Christian residential ministry
- Have a warm, friendly and collaborative approach
- Are able to problem-solve and think creatively
- Have excellent communication skills
- Can cope under pressure, in a calm and efficient manner to set deadlines
- Love to plan ahead and get the details right
- Have experience and understanding of budget-holding and cost control
- Are keen to innovate and consider and implement significant change
- Hold an Intermediate Food Hygiene Certificate and have worked in a commercial kitchen with HACCP procedures
- Have a minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- Are motivated, enthusiastic and demonstrate initiative
- Are willing to be flexible and go the extra mile
- Are happy to roll up their sleeves and be hands-on when needed
- Have good Word, Excel and Outlook IT skills
- Have served previously with a Christian organisation, charity or church
- Have previous experience in menu design and development
- Have previously catered for young people
What are the benefits?
- Monthly salary, plus appropriate allowances as required
- Accommodation provided
- Paid annual leave (30 days per annum, increases with length of service)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Opportunity for personal training and development
- Very favourable rates for family on most Abernethy Holidays & Camps
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian Community, in a beautiful part of Scotland
- Place at our annual Abernethy Team Conference
Easy access to the local area including Cairngorm Mountains, River Spey and the Moray Coast – a fantastic outdoor playground!
How to apply
Download our application form HERE
Contact Operations Director, Andrew Marrian, informally for more information by calling 01479 821279
Complete an online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on 01479 818001
Abernethy is a group of 4 residential adventure centres and a bunkhouse in Scotland and we are all about living life to the full with God and sharing outdoor adventures. Through our centres in the beautiful wilds of Scotland and a staff team motivated by their Christian faith, we aim to create the very best experiences for each and every guest.