Instructor - Abernethy Nethybridge
Full time, permanent.
Closing date: 31 October, or until recruited.
Start date: Immediate
Who should apply?
This exciting and challenging role is essential to our ministry as our outdoor instructors are key to providing a safe, educational and enjoyable experience for our guests. We are looking for a hands-on team player to assist in the day-to-day delivery of our excellent schools activity programmes. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life. (Short-term seasonal opportunities may be available during snowsports season).
What are the key roles of an Abernethy Instructor?
- Delivering high quality outdoor activity instruction both on & off site for our school groups
- Ensuring that activity equipment is checked and maintained according to our strict policies
- Working with the other instructors to coordinate groups that are in residence
- Active involvement with ‘Explore' evening Christian programme
What experience are we looking for?
In an ideal world, we would be keen for the following criteria to be met by the successful candidate:
- Holds a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years/ D1+E is desirable.
- 2 other NGB qualifications such as:
- Archery Instructor award
- BASI Level 1 or 2, or a Snowsports Scotland Award,
- BCU UKCC Level 2 Paddlesports (either Canoe or Kayak)
- Moderate Water Endorsement or White Water Leader
- Introducing Orienteering (BOF) or Teaching Orienteering (Scottish Orienteering)
- DofE Supervisor / Assessor
- Level 2 Mountain Biking award
- Mountain Leader
- RYA instructor award
- Rock Climbing Instructor award
- First Aid
- Previous relevant work experience
- Able to demonstrate a sound understanding of risk management and risk benefit
- Experience and evidence of working as part of a team
- Motivated and demonstrates initiative
- Positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
What are the benefits?
- A monthly salary
- Full-board accommodation provided, or live-out allowance
- Paid annual leave (30 days per annum)
- Lunch provided on work days (evening meal provided if working over evening meal time)
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment and indoor swimming pool
- Opportunity for personal training and development
- Generous family discounts (up to 50%) for Abernethy events and holidays
- Heavily discounted accommodation options for short visits from friends & family
- 10% staff discount in our Centre shop
- Place at our annual Team Conference gathering, with Bible teaching, worship, social and activity options
- Team Christmas party
- Access to discounted prices on outdoor clothing & equipment
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- You will be living as part of a vibrant Christian community in a beautiful part of Scotland
- Great location for outdoor activities – close proximity to Cairngorms and River Spey
How to apply:
Download our application form HERE
Contact Operations Director, Andrew Marrian, informally for more information by calling 01479 821279
Complete the online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on 01479 818001
Abernethy is a group of 4 outdoor adventure centres and a bunkhouse in Scotland with an additional winter training base in the Swiss Alps. We are a Christian organisation and are passionate about seeing our guests experience the love of Christ through the care and contact that they receive. Abernethy was established in 1971 and, since then has grown to include a team of over 100 people, some full time and some part time, some here as a gap year and some as a long term career. The team is trained to deliver the best outdoor instruction possible in some of the most stunning (and occasionally remote) locations in Scotland. We are here to serve guests, ensuring they have an experience to remember for years to come!