Maintenance Gap Year 2019-20
Full-time, short-term contract - positions available for 1 year from August/September 2019
Who should apply?
Abernethy's vision is to provide exceptional outdoor adventure experiences where our guests can discover more about themselves, others and God. This role is essential to our ministry as the maintenance of our properties is key to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for our guests. We look for hands-on team players who are at least 17 years old and have a good level of initiative to fill this role. First and foremost, we are looking for people who want to serve God in this kind of outreach, so your Christian Faith will be evident in your life.
What are the key roles of an Abernethy Maintenance Gap Year?
- To work with the maintenance team, implementing the Centre maintenance schedule, as delegated by the Maintenance Manager. This may include painting and decorating, grass cutting, general repairs, waste and pest control & cleaning vehicles.
- To carry out and record routine tests (e.g. fire alarm systems, electrical appliances, vehicles etc)
- To assist with unplanned maintenance needs of the Centre, often at short notice
- Active involvement in all aspects of residential life in a Christian Centre including assisting with the ‘Explore’ Christian programme, explaining and sharing the Christian faith with our guests and attending weekly Team Fellowships
- Involvement with the local church
- Throughout the year there will be a number of times set aside for teaching, both spiritual and practical. These will include team fellowship on a weekly basis, a conference with the teams from all Abernethy centres, as well as opportunities to attend other conferences and training courses held at the Abernethy centres.
What experience & qualities are we looking for?
A motivated, flexible individual who demonstrates initiative and a willingness to take on tasks
You need to be at least 17 years old, preferably with some experience of general home maintenance and gardening
Experience working within a team and on your own
Positive Christian role model for both guests and staff
What are the benefits?
- Full-board single accommodation, basic monthly salary & benefits in kind provided
- Paid annual leave (30 days)
- A planned programme of training, development & discipleship
- Use of Centre facilities including outdoor equipment
- Opportunities in free time to take part in any of the outdoor activities on offer
- Opportunities to take an active role within the life of our local church and Christian youth work
- Living as part of a vibrant Christian Community, in a beautiful part of Scotland
How to apply:
Download our application form HERE
Complete an online enquiry form and we will be in touch
e-mail our Recruitment Administrator, Steph Walling or call her on 01479 818001
Abernethy is a group of 4 residential adventure centres and a bunkhouse in Scotland and we are all about living life to the full with God and sharing outdoor adventures. Through our centres in the beautiful wilds of Scotland and a staff team motivated by their Christian faith, we aim to create the very best experiences for each and every guest.